23 May 2013

Review: Revlon Lash Potion Mascara


For a long period of time, Revlon was hosting a Cast A Spell sweepstakes, not only would you be joining in in helping them reveal their latest spellbinding product, but you would be entering to win a trip to the MTV Movie Awards where said product would be revealed.

During the MTV Movie Awards, the product was revealed to be the newest mascara Lash Potion by Grow Luscious.

Luck would have it, I ended up receiving a sample of the product. After giving it a good long try out, review time!



Revlon Lash Potion Mascara
Spellbinding Volume. Supernatural Length.

Magically transform lashes to lush, long and lustrous. A potion with strengthening proteins drenches lashes for volume. Triple-groove wand combs through for clump-free length.


via Revlon's Website

Revlon Lash Potion Mascara

Packaging: The mascara tube itself holds 0.34fl oz. of product. Can I just say, I love the colorful metallic design of the tube? :O! Shades of Green, purple and metallic pink grace the outside of the mascara tube. The cap which matches the same metallic pink shade that appear on the main tube. A silver strip separates between the tube and the cap with Revlon in what appears to be a metallic red. Or at least it looks red to me, it doesn't quite look to be the same pink that's used. The design itself though is a sticker (d'oh!), the actual base is a light grey/silver.
Revlon Lash Potion Mascara

Wand: Upon first look, it appears to be a regular bristle mascara brush. However, according to Revlon, they refer to the wand as the Illusionist Wand. On the back of the package it appears that the wand should have three sections!

Revlon Lash Potion Mascara
Back of the packaging.
Revlon Lash Potion Mascara
Actual brush.
Yes, the wand is actually split into three section. According to Revlon's claims this not only helps distribute the product onto the lashes for dramatic volume, but also to comb through the lashes for a clump-free application.

Revlon Lash Potion Mascara

Ingredients: Aqua ((Water) Eau), Cera Carnauba ((Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax) Cire De Carnauba), Cera Alba ((Beeswax) Cire D Abeille), Candelilla Cera ((Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax) Cire De Candelilla), Myrica Pubescens (Bayberry) Fruit Wax, Acacia Senegal Gum, Butylene Glycol, Steareth-21, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Cetyl Alcohol, Lysine HCl, Leucine Alanine, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phytantriol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Simethicone, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Butylene Glycol Cocoate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Trisodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, May Contain +/-: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Black 2 (CI 77266)

Formula: I found the mascara to be on the wet-ish side. I think with this one, if you want to apply two coats, you definitely have to wait in between. But I'm not certain if this is just the one that I received. I didn't notice any flaking when I wore it without eyeliner. However, when going to apply a second coat I did notice clumping that occurred, probably because the first coat was still drying.

Scent: Not your typical mascara scent. It's there, but this has a... peppery type of smell added to the mascara scent. That was a mildly surprising and took a little to get used to. Anything that has even a small pepper odor to it can drive my sinuses bonkers.

Revlon Lash Potion Mascara
(L) Before; (R) After
Overall Verdict: I do like the mascara, but it just isn't one that I constantly reach for. Especially during the work week. I feel as if I really need to work with the mascara and allow the coats in between to dry, and I don't have time for that during the week. So I've actually have dubbed this my weekend mascara. It does add some length and volume, but I don't really see the dramatic part of it; and I like dramatic lashes. As for the claim of being clump free? It clumps. Or at least after two coats it does, especially if the first coat hasn't dried enough. Not to mention, and I've had the same issue with any Revlon mascara that I've tried, I end up with just too much product on the wand. I tend to have to wipe the excess off on the mouth of the tube before applying it. It might have just been the one that I had received that had a wet formula, but if anyone else is going to try this mascara and is going to do multiple coats, definitely allow the coats to dry in between applications... unless you like the clump look :D

Price: $5.99 (only price I've seen thus far)

Availability: Anywhere that Revlon is sold.

3 comments:

  1. I've actually never heard of this mascara before! Great in-depth review! :) Just found your blog via the Meet Me on the Brightside Blog Hop...lovin' it!! I am your newest follower! Would love for you to check out my blog if you get a chance! xx

    natalielovesbeauty.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. The brush is very different. Did you have any problem with appling the product on your lashes?

    Sabrina
    www.lipsticksandglitters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, I've just finished reviewing it and while I love the mascara I found that it smudged a lot :(
    xxx
    makeup-ramblings.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...