20 February 2013

To Dupe or Not To Dupe: The One That Got Away vs Sarah

Yes! It's another To Dupe or Not To Dupe post. I figured that this could be a little series. I know a lot of bloggers do dupe posts whether it's with nail polishes or with eyeshadows, this isn't anything massively different.

This is basically just me going through my polish collection and seeing if I have any polishes that are close in color to be possible dupes. Especially if they're limited editions and are no longer available, except through online retailers.

So, onward to this edition of the series!

Basically this whole "series" started when I picked up Scarlett on Friday, I had been wearing Zoya's Lisa on my nails, and couldn't figure out if Scarlett had been a dupe. I originally thought The One That Got Away could also be a possible dupe, until I swatched it on a nail plate and realized it wasn't. That encouraged me to go through the rest of my stash to see if anything could be a possible dupe for The One That Got Away. Which is how I ended up here with this post.

Base coat used, Revlon Post Trauma Nail Treatment, no top coat used.

The One That Got Away was/is part of the Katy Perry Collection that O.P.I. released around January 2011 (I actually found mine in T.J. Maxx). This is definitely a rich berry with hints of purple to it, as well as fine micro glitter (although not overwhelming).

The Formula is on the sheer side, and I needed to use three coats to get it fully opaque. As with most polishes (this could be a user problem), there was slight streaking with the initial coat, but once you get the second coat on, it evens out.

Next, Sarah.

I believe this was one of the first Zoya polishes that I purchased from their site. On there, Sarah is described as Pearls of dark fuchsia, red-violet and ruby tones in a bright sparkle finish.  A very rich and different shade of cool red sparkle that will stand out in a crowd. To my (untrained) eye, this definitely leans more towards the ruby (cool toned) family, it has hints of violet, but I would say the fuchsia/ruby dominates. Two coats were used for it to be fully opaque.

The comparison.

I would says that The One That Got Away definitely has more of a fuchsia/purple tone to it than Sarah does. Sarah's violet tone seems to be more low key and not as up front. Swatching these colors on a nail plate, The One That Got Away comes across as a much deeper color than Sarah, while Sarah comes across as a richer ruby berry color. While Sarah has a very sparkly finish, The One That Got Away, finish is much more subdue.
 
Would I Call Them Dupes? Definitely not. While the colors are in a similar family (both berry), one leans more towards a violet berry side, while the other is more of a ruby berry.
 
Price Range: O.P.I. Polishes can range from $6.99 and up. Zoya polishes are priced at $8.00 on the Zoya website.

Disclaimer: Products mentioned in the post were purchased by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...