19 March 2013

Double Mix: E.L.F. Flawless Eyeshadow in Party Purple Review/Tutorial

Back on March 11th I ended up purchasing little E.L.F. Quad from Target (see my Target & Harmons Haul) and with the whirlwind that is work then St. Patrick's Day, I didn't get to review it as quickly as I would have liked.

Target right now, is getting quite a bit of the new lines from E.L.F. in stock. The one I went to, had 4 out of the 7 listed on the website. I just happened to pick Party Purple (#21624).

So, with the review now, comes with a still photo tutorial! I'm still trying with, tried a little new method... not sure how I like it though, but I'm trying! My tripod is still MIA which is why a lot of the photos are various sizes and might seem a tad blurred. I'm doing these all by holding the camera, which is not easy when the LCD screen faces the back. Where there is a will, there is a way though!

The review will be first, then the tutorial (yup, long post ahoy!). Shall we begin?


E.L.F. Flawless Eyeshadow in Party Purple
According to the E.L.F. Website
Create flawless looking eyes with brilliant eyeshadow and an easy step-by-step application guide. These beautifully coordinated shadows give you a professionally contoured and defined eye that allows you to go as bold or natural as you want. The silky smooth formula glides effortlessly onto the skin for long-lasting color.
Ingredients (as listed on the website): Talc, Mica, Magnesium Stearate, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Dimethicone, Polyisobutene, PVM/MA Decadiene Crosspolymer. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Tin Oxide (CI 77861), Yellow No.5 Lake (CI 19140), Red No.40 Lake (CI 16035), Blue No.1 Lake (CI 42090)
Packaging: It comes in a standard cardboard back plastic sleeve, should be noted that the sides in the back are glued to the cardboard, so the backing doesn't just slide out (like I thought it would, whoops!). As for the case itself, it is a hard, white plastic. Not to mention it's a sturdy eyeshadow palette, in fact it's so sturdy, I could hardly get it open! Gah! For some reason the one I have shuts extremely tight, so it takes a little bit to open it. Once it is open though, there's no tightness to the hinge itself. Inside there are four rows of eyeshadow colors marked with Base, Lid, Crease and Line. Below them is where the little double sided sponge tip applicator lives which has a built in mirror behind it.

E.L.F. Flawless Eyeshadow in Party Purple

Texture: They are silky and soft, but I noticed the Base is a little bit on the chalky side. Base and Lid both have a pearl like look to them while Crease and Line have a slight sheen to them, not totally matte, but there is sheen there is little bits of glitter.

Breakdown of Colors:
  • Base: Light pearl pink.
  • Lid: Muted pink.
  • Crease: Vibrant blue based purple.
  • Line: Deep plum with a blue undertone.

Pigmentation: They are pigmented when swatched. But I did have a bit of an issue with two. The Crease (which is a blue based purple) color and the Line  (I want to say a blue based plum) color. The Crease just didn't want to show up as vibrant as it did when swatched. I had to work with this one quite a bit to get the color to really show. The Line, it just didn't want to deepen the outer V nor did it show up as eyeliner. Granted, I'm still trying to get this whole, tutorial thing figure out, so I wasn't on the very best angle, and my lighting is horrid due to light bulb changes. It could definitely be the reason why the Line didn't want to work with me.
E.L.F. Flawless Eyeshadow in Party Purple Swatches
Swatches
Overall Impression: Even with the issues I had, it's a nice little quad. Party Purple is definitely going to be used again.

Price: $2.00 (!)

Availability: Target or E.L.F. website

Now for the tutorial!
1. Pixi Beauty Lid Last Shadow Pen in Shell Sheen all over the lid.
2. Base all over the lid, also brought it down around the inner corner and along the lower lash line.
3. Swept Lid over most of the lid and lower lash line, leaving the inner corner area alone.

4. Worked Crease into, well the outer v and into the crease. Took a little effort to get it to show up.
5. Worked Line into the outer v to try and deepen the Crease color more.
6. Used E.L.F. Cream Eyeliner in Black to tight line and used it on the lower water line as well.
SCARY!
7. Added my HG mascara N.Y.C. Volumizing Mascara in Extreme Black.

If you stuck around this long, THANK YOU!
Leave a comment below and tell me if you like these types of reviews (I'm dubbing it double mix) that contain a tutorial with the product, or if you prefer the tutorial separate.
 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...