11 March 2013

To Dupe or Not To Dupe: Green With Envy vs. Green Apple vs. Innocent

Welcome to another edition of To Dupe or Not To Dupe! For this round, it's a lime green edition. I was actually surprised by how many lime greens I have, but narrowed it down to only three. 

I wasn't expecting the out come though, as the swatches on the nail plate differ drastically than the swatches I did on myself (is that normal?).

Lets jump right to it!

Base coat used O.P.I. Nail Envy, no top coat used.

Starting off with Sally Hansen (Hard as Nails) Xtreme Wear in Green With Envy. Photographing the bottle actually makes it appear darker (this was an issue I was having with lighting), but it's actually a lovely lime green cream, that definitely has a yellow tone to it.

I used two coats to get it fully opaque. No real issues with the application, it went on fairly smoothly, with only minor balding with the first coat which was easily fixed with the second.

Next up is Orly Green Apple. Another cream polish. Unlike the first one, this one definitely comes across as having more of a... blue hue to it. It photographs as being more of a mint color and to me, falls into the cool field.

Application with this one was tricky. The formula was very runny, so I had to keep going back to the bottle to get the excess off, it would just flow down and pool onto the nail. The good thing though, I only had to use two coats, despite the pooling of polish.

Finally, Sinful Colors in Innocent. The third cream. This one is a light moss yellow-green. Innocent definitely is more of a yellow tone green compared to Green With Envy.

The formula on this one was thicker than the other two, other than that there weren't any other issues. Might have been thicker, but it was the one that gave me fewer issues. Two coats were used to get it fully opaque.

The comparison.

I certainly have to say, the way these colors translated to the nail plate, were so off it isn't even funny. I was definitely surprised by the out come of this because they look SO very similar. Two have a yellow tone to them (one more so than the other) while the other is a cool tone (mint) green. In the bottles it's even difficult to tell, although Green Apple looks slightly off even there.

Would I call them dupes? Absolutely not. The three of them are very different.

Price Range: Orly Polishes go for $8.50 on the Orly website. Sinful Colors go for $1.99 at Walgreens. Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear start from $2.12 and up (depending on where you shop).

Disclaimer: Products mentioned in the post were purchased by myself. None of the links featured are affiliates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...